Is your Edmonton Neighborhood is Improving?
When you’re looking for a new Edmonton home, you want to find one in a great neighbourhood – or, at least, in a neighbourhood that is on the upswing. How can you tell if a particular area is improving? Here are some common indicators:
• Pride of ownership. Take a walk around the neighbourhood. Do you get a sense that people take good care of their homes? Are the lawns mowed? Is the landscaping trimmed? Are flowers planted? Are the sidewalks & walkways shoveled from snow? Homeowners are more likely to look after their properties when they like where they are living.
• Home improvements. Are people investing in their homes? Are they getting their driveways re-done? Their windows replaced? Are there signs of home improvement projects? If so, this is a clear indication that homeowners like the area enough to invest in their properties.
• Real estate sales activity. Do homes tend to sell quickly in the area? Do they sell for a good price? If so, the neighbourhood is probably in demand. If people want to live there, it's a desirable area.
• Business investment. Are businesses investing in the surrounding area? Is there an increase in the number of upscale shops, health clubs, restaurants, and other commercial enterprises that often locate near desirable neighbourhoods?
• Community involvement. Are there signs that the community plays an active role in the look and lifestyle of the neighbourhood? Are there neighbourhood picnics, yard sales and other get-togethers? Check Facebook.com to see if the neighbourhood has a community page.
• City plans. Find out what plans the city of Edmonton has for the area. Will there be road improvements done in the near future? Are there any major construction projects on the schedule, such as LRT, new school or community centre. Although such projects can be disruptive in the short term, they may improve the neighbourhood – and, as a result, boost the value of any home you buy – in the long-term.
• Amortization Rate. One of the best ways to tell if a neighbourhood is improving is the amortization rate which is a summary of how quickly homes are selling in one area comparable to the nearby communities and district and municipality.
Of course, the best way to find out the desirability of a neighbourhood is to talk to us, a good REALTOR® who knows the area. Contact us today.