Owning A Piece of History in Bonnie Doon
Bonnie Doon has always been one of Edmonton's most sought after southeast locations.
The Molstad House is located in the heart of Bonnie Doon, southeast Edmonton and was built in constructed in 1912 ans was the first residential building to receive historical designation.
It’s original owners, Edward and Addie Molstad, were known for being very active within the community and at Christmas time, Mrs. Molstad would host an annual children’s Christmas party. Mr. Molstad made two lots on the property available for a skating rink in the winter and tennis courts in the summer.
In 1931 the Molstad House was converted into an apartment building, but the Molstad’s continued to live in part of the house. Edward H. Molstad passed away in 1953 and Addie in 1982, but their home found new life under the guiding hands of Walter and Jean Kipp, who undertook considerable renovations, restoring this wonderful home to its original glory. On the second floor there were five bedrooms and two bathrooms. Living quarters for the cook, maid and other help for the Molstad’s farm was in the upper portion of the house.
This historical landmark changed hands again in 2015 and today is considered ultra-modern, keeping the original charactoristics of this incredible home with boasted oak panelling, hardwood floors, sculptured ceilings, brass chandeliers and an unusual fireplace in the dining room.
If you are interested specifically in the Bonnie Doon community, please reach out to us. Thanks!